Explore Prince George's County
We live in a wonderful county with a wide variety of interesting places to visit and things
to do. Few counties have the mix of natural beauty, recreational opportunities, historical
sites and cultural programs that are available to us every day. Unfortunately, many of us
who live in Prince George's County are so busy with our daily lives and routines that we
fail to explore our county and learn about all it has to offer.
Below is a partial list of interesting, fun and educational things to do and see in our
- Surrat House Museum (Clinton)-Visit this interesting museum and get your
game book so you can join "The Hunt for Abraham Lincoln" which is a search
for the local sites with connection to our 16th President.
- Darnall's Chance House Museum (Upper Marlboro)-Built in 1742 by a
wealthy Scottish merchant named James Wardrop. The Museum tours highlight
the similarities and differences between Mr. Wardrop's wife, Lettice Lee, and the
lives of other 18th century women.
- Patuxent Rural Life Museums (Upper Marlboro)-Has numerous exhibits
including the Charles Duckett Log Cabin, a tobacco museum, a blacksmith shop
and a 1923 Sears, Roebuck and Company simplex house.
- College Park Aviation Museum (College Park)-Tells the story of the College
Park Airport which is the "World's Oldest Continuously Operating Airport."
- Dorsey Chapel (Glenn Dale)-A small frame, meeting house stile church that
was the focal point of the rural African-American community in Glenn Dale at the
turn of the 20th Century.
- Marietta House Museum (Glenn Dale)-Built in 1813 by a U.S. Supreme Court
Justice, this federal period brick home sits on 25 beautiful acres of land.
- Abraham Hall (Beltsville)-This structure, build in 1889, is the best example in
the county of an African-American benevolent society lodge.
- Montpelier Mansion (Laurel)-Once a thriving plantation, this is one of the
finest examples of 18th century Georgian architecture in Maryland.
- Mount Calvert Historical and Archaeological Park (Upper Marlboro)-This
site interprets a broad range of Prince George's County history and includes an
exhibit entitled "A Confluence of Three Cultures" which explores the history of
American Indians, the colonial Town of Charles Town and the lives of enslaved
- Northampton Slave Quarters and Archaeological Park (Lake Arbor)-This
historic site features reconstructed foundations of two slave quarters from the
Northampton Plantation (1673-1860).
- Watkins Nature Center (Upper Marlboro)-Features many exhibits that allow
you to get close to nature including an indoor turtle pond, outdoor frog pond, live
animal exhibits and six miles of easy to follow trails. It is also the home to the
Old Maryland Farm which has livestock displays where you can feed the animals.
- Bladensburg Waterfront Park (Bladensburg)-This unique waterfront park
features a paved riverside walk, a public fishing pier, free boat ramp and a
playground. Canoes and kayaks are available as well as free boat tours.
- Clearwater Nature Center (Clinton)-Enjoy animal and reptile shows and
displays as well as herb and butterfly gardens. There are also guided nature hikes
and classes on basket weaving, jewelry making and rock cutting.
- Cheltenham Natural Area (Cheltenham)-This 200 acre park features a
boardwalk through diverse habitats. Inhabitants of the area include deer, beavers,
muskrats, bluebirds, hawks and frogs and it's a great location for an educational
- Mount Rainier Nature/Recreation Area (Mount Rainier)-Prince George's
County's only urban nature center has hands-on exhibits, live animals and the
self-guided Mount Rainier Tree Trail.
- Lake Artemesia Natural Area (Berwyn Heights)-Features a 38 acre lake, an
aquatic garden, fishing and miles of hiker/biker trails.
- Patuxent river Park (Upper Marlboro)-Comprised of more than seven
thousand acres of natural area parklands along the eastern boundry of the county.
It has lots of trails and open areas as well as boat ramps, fishing piers, camping,
canoe and kayak rentals and river ecology boat tours.
Sports and Recreational
- Prince George's Sports and Learning Complex (Landover)-Includes an
aquatic center, a field house, fitness center, gymnastic center and much more.
- Prince George's Equestrian Center/The Show Place Arena (Upper
Marlboro)-A Victorian-style multipurpose facility that has horse shows nearly
- Fairland Sports and Aquatics Complex (Laurel)-Has an aquatics center,
gymnastics facility, indoor tennis courts as well as a fitness and dance studio and
trampoline training room. Massage therapy services are also available.
- Watkins Regional Park Miniature Golf Course (Upper Marlboro)-An
outdoor miniature golf course located in Watkins Regional Park.
- Prince George's County Trap and Skeet Center (Glen Dale)-A
comprehensive clay target shooting facility that is open to the general public on a
- Cosca Tennis Bubble (Clinton)-Indoor courts under a bubble that are open
from September to May. Adjacent outdoor courts are open year round.
- Prince George's Stadium (Bowie)-Home of the Bowie Baysox, Class AA
affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles
- Tucker Road Ice Rink (Fort Washington)-Open October to March and has
general sessions for the public as well as less skating and ice hockey lessons.
- Paint Branch Golf Complex (College Park) -An executive length, 9-hole
course, par 31. Also features a 40-station, lighted and heated driving range with
practice putting greens.
- Sugar Ray Leonard Amateur Boxing Center (Palmer Park)-Boxing lessons
as well as tournaments and shows for boxers of all skill levels.
Town of Upper Marlboro, MD
County of Prince George, MD
Community Newspaper Online
The Baltimore Sun Newspaper
Listing of Television Broadcasting Stations:
Baltimore Gas & Electric Company
Anne Arundel County Public Schools
Upper Maryland Schools directory
Prince George County School's
Anne Arundel Community College
Prince George’s Community College
University of Maryland
College of Southern Maryland
Things to do:
The John F Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Centerl
National Museum of the US Navy
National Geographic Museum
Smithsonian Institution National Museum of Natural History
Six Flags America Amusement Park
Upper Maryland Golf Courses
Department of Natural Resources, Parks, Fishing, Boating
Maryland Office of Tourism
Listing of Things To Do
The Washington Wizards